The Auburn Creed: Part VII

“I believe in my Country, because it is a land of freedom and because it is my own home, and that I can best serve that country by “doing justly, loving mercy, and walking humbly with my God.”

Much like the fifth line of the Auburn Creed, the seventh line doesn’t always get as much attention as other parts. It is still an important piece of the Creed as it acknowledges our privileges and calls us to action.

In a time of social unrest, a pandemic, and perhaps the most contentious presidential election we’ve ever seen, I believe this section of the Auburn Creed is a call to those of us who love Auburn to be an example. We have so many freedoms in America and an opportunity to make things better for future generations. The way that we can do so is by “doing justly, loving mercy, and walking humbly with my God.” To me, this means doing the right thing.

The world looks a lot different than it did when George Petrie first penned the Auburn Creed, but there is still work to do. At Auburn, we’re doing all we can to help lead the charge.