Why I Love Auburn: A Series

By: Sami Grace Donnelly, senior in English-Literature

When asked my reason for loving Auburn, I had no shortage of stories, explanations, or accolades to share. If I had to condense it all into one simple reason, however, I would choose the word “community.” 

I grew up as a military BRAT, which is an acronym for “being relocated all the time.” I attended eight different schools growing up and lived in ten different places before coming to Auburn. My graduating class had all of thirty-three kids in it, and I was the only one who had committed to Auburn. 

Needless to say, I came to college ready to make those “life-long friends” everyone talks about and to finally put down some roots. College is a season of incredible growth for a young person, and it is an experience whose impact lasts way longer than four years. 

I remember watching my family drive away after helping me move into my dorm room; it was sometime early in August of 2021. That first night, after making awkward introductions with my random roommates, I remember sitting on my twin sized bed thinking “well, what now?

Auburn — both the city and the university — embraced me with open arms. Envision a montage of new situations, countless introductions, good days, and bad days too. The community here is unlike anything I had ever experienced before. The people are inviting and authentic. The culture is lively and kind. 

Not only was I able to find people who were supportive, but I was also able to find a space that was inspiring. I was encouraged to pursue new interests. I realized new extents of my passions and talents. I found outlets to serve the people and places around me. 

One story in particular exhibits the intentionality of the Auburn community to help me on this journey: 

Freshman year, I was sitting in my world literature lecture. We were reading The Odyssey, and the professor liked to use the phrase “sailing into the wine-dark sea of human experience” when comparing us freshmen to Odysseus, the hero of the book. 

We had taken the exam on the first few chapters the day before, and at the end of class the professor asked if I could stay after for a second to talk about “something.” A brief zing of panic ran through my mind, but I calmly said “sure.” 

“I wanted to talk to you about your exam grade,” he said, his stern tone causing me to rethink nearly every life decision I’d ever made. “You had the highest grade in the class, and that was not an easy test. I’ve noticed your dedication to the subject, and I’m wondering why you’re not an English major. I think it would be a great fit for you.” 

I didn’t have an answer for him. To tell the truth, even with all my interest in reading and writing, I had never considered making it my major. For some reason, I hadn’t put two and two together. I had already changed my major multiple times that year, and my search for something both fulfilling and practical was still unresolved. 

To make a long story short. My professor was right. Auburn’s English program is a great fit for me, along with its many other writing organizations and opportunities. It is one of the most academically fulfilling experiences I’ve encountered. But even more than that, the fact that he went out of his way to recognize and guide me in that journey meant the world to me. 

That professor has remained a confidant and friend, offering professional advice, an editor’s wise hand, and even personal recommendation for my future pursuits. I have also found a plethora of relationships through the classes, organizations, and events through that one simple decision of changing my major. 

One characteristic about the Auburn Family — the term for the interactive web of community we have here in Auburn, Alabama — is its care. It will seek you out and surprise you with its endearment. People here make positive impacts on each other, and together we sail onto that “wine-dark sea of human experience,” helping each other through the storms, cheering each other on incredible feats, and encouraging each other when we find success. 

We have a saying here that goes, “If you love Auburn, Auburn will love you back.” It is so true. I came to this town looking for room to grow, inspiration, friendships, and memories. What I’ve found cannot even be described by those powerful words; it is so much more.