Auburn University Medical Clinic: Where Health and Wellness Meets the Auburn Family

The Auburn University Medical Clinic’s mission is “to provide high-quality, efficient and convenient health care with compassion, dedication and professionalism.” The facility began serving Auburn University students, faculty, and staff as well as the greater Auburn community in 2005 with an unwavering commitment to achieving its mission. And I should know!

One of my earliest visits to the Medical Clinic occurred during the spring semester of my sophomore year. It was a beautiful afternoon and I was leaving Goodwin Hall with a heavy backpack on my back and my alto saxophone safely in its case in my left hand. In one moment, I was laughing with my friends walking down a hill close to the amphitheater and falling in slow motion in the next. After hearing an unusual *pop*…

… I had managed to land sitting on my left foot. With the help of my friends, I thought I could literally walk the injury off with a night of elevating my leg and icing my ankle with a bag of frozen green peas – college students are nothing if not resourceful. It was immediately evident the next morning, though, that I needed help from a medical professional and the Medical Clinic was the obvious choice. After an X-ray and a consultation with a doctor, my severely sprained ankle was on the mend.

One of my more recent visits was less embarrassing (thankfully, I’ve been more surefooted ever since) but equally memorable. In July 2018, I visited the Medical Clinic for a much more routine reason. At this time, I was nearly two years into being an admissions advisor and it was just days after learning about my dad’s cancer diagnosis. There were more unknowns and questions than certainty and answers in my life on the day of my visit. It was only after a couple weeks of waiting and worrying later than we learned that his cancer was treatable. Needless to say, my visit to the Medical Clinic that day was surrounded by unique circumstances. As I was waiting in my exam room, I was consumed with worry about my dad. When Dr. Owens walked into the room, I could have never predicted the ways in which she was going to help me. We talked about the reason for my visit and the medicine I need to take, and then the conversation somehow shifted to my dad. She listened intently and asked to pray over me. I left the Medical Clinic that day having received a level of care and concern I didn’t even know I needed.

Months later, I had a follow-up visit and, coincidentally, was treated by Dr. Owens again. She asked about my dad quickly after entering the exam room. I was amazed by her memory – how many patients had she seen since my visit? I was grateful to pass along the good news that he was responding well to treatment and even more grateful for her compassion for me and a loved one of mine that she had never even met.

Dr. Owens is undoubtedly extraordinary… along with every other doctor, PA, nurse, phlebotomist, receptionist, and staff member at the Auburn University Medical Clinic. If you’re anything like me, reader, you probably feel like this level of care and concern is a rarity in today’s world. But it’s the rule – not the exception to it – in the Auburn Family, and there is no better embodiment of the Auburn Family than the Auburn University Medical Clinic.

Highlights of Resources

• The Auburn University Medical Clinic is a fee-for-service facility, meaning that you will only pay for services when you use them.
  • They have contracts with most major insurance companies and can work with students who are uninsured or take advantage of Auburn University’s Student Health Insurance.
  • Making an appointment over the phone or requesting an appointment through your patient portal is easy and the digital kiosks make the check-in process even more efficient.
  • In keeping with the Auburn University Medical Clinic’s mission, there are a variety of services available to help ensure students’ holistic health and wellness. Some of the resources housed within the facility include:
  • While the facility has a variety of services, it does not currently have specialists like dentists or optometrists but will gladly refer you to a local option that will best meet your needs.

Overall, I can confidently speak from a variety of personal experiences that the Auburn University Medical Clinic is an invaluable resource to the Auburn community. Whether you are coming from near or far, rest assured that the folks at the Auburn University Medical Clinic will embody the spirit of the Auburn Family to ensure your health and wellness.