The inside view from a former athlete Auburn vs Alabama Experience.

Auburn vs. Alabama Rivalry
Jawara White

As a former Auburn University athlete, the Auburn vs Alabama Rivalry is one I will never forget. Growing up in the football spotlight, I was able to experience both sides of the rivalry. Thankfully I decided to always say “War Eagle.” As I made trips to Auburn my junior and senior year of high school, I slowly learned the depth of the rivalry. The rivalry begins the moment you are born and you pick a side. No seriously, you really have to pick a side.

What does the Auburn vs Alabama rivalry mean to me? The rivalry means blood, sweat, grit, and tears. It means dedication, hard work and determination. The hard work, dedication and determination begin in the months, weeks, and days leading up to the Iron Bowl. Every practice, weight room session, and film session builds up to the Iron Bowl. It is always the last game of the year and it is always the most important game of the year.

My favorite Iron Bowl memory? There are WAY too many to choose from but my freshman year is the easiest memory to pick because it ended with a National Championship under our belt. We were playing in Tuscaloosa. It was my first trip as a player to Tuscaloosa and I had no idea what to expect. People can prep you, warn you, and try and help you the best they can, but the experience is truly one that words cannot describe. As we walked into Bryant Denny Stadium in 2010 we only heard one thing: “Take the Money and Run” playing over the loud speakers. I guess it was a form of intimidation. Sadly, for Alabama, it was a form of motivation. We came out slow but responded from a 24 – 0 deficit and ended up beating Alabama 28 – 27. After the game we could not do anything but smile and laugh, our hard work, determination, grit, sweat and tears pushed us above the rest. We had a few days to celebrate before focusing on a National Title and the SEC championship. During those few days I was able to think about my first experience as a player in the Iron Bowl. I realized then the rivalry is deeper than football; it’s a way of life.