From a small town to Auburn – You can do it!

If you’re from a small town like I am, you probably think moving to Auburn is like moving to New York City. “Auburn is a metropolis compared to my little town with a couple of red lights!” I have said to myself over and over. I am from Opp, Alabama which is about 30 minutes from the Florida line. Population in Opp: around 6,400. Moving to a place that has a population around 60,000 seemed impossible at first.

My first year out of high school I actually stayed at home and went to Lurleen B. Wallace Community College located in Andalusia, Alabama. This was a great decision on my part and my family’s provided our financial situation and other matters. If you are not quite ready to make the jump from high school to a university, going to a community college for a year or two could be a great route for you! That being said, my hope is that by the end of this post I will be able to persuade you to come to Auburn University right out of high school.

Can I be honest with you for a second? Crazy enough, Auburn is actually a small town as well! No reason to be afraid. Auburn might have more buildings and more crosswalks than you have ever seen in your life, but there is such a small town, southern hospitality, and family environment feel like no other that I have come to love and appreciate during my 3 years here. Auburn University is a great place because of the city of Auburn and the people that make up this wonderful town.

As I think about my transition from Opp to Auburn after my freshman year, there were times that I was scared and sad to move from home. As the first day of class drew closer, I felt joy and excitement as I thought about some of the great things Auburn has to offer. Auburn actually has a Walmart and a movie theater, two things Opp is about 15 minutes away from! There are actually more than 10 restaurants to choose from! (It’s the little things people.) Maybe you come from a small town that has a Walmart and more than 10 restaurants. My point is this: Auburn has tons to offer that your small town probably doesn’t. So, leaving home and moving to Auburn helps you broaden your horizon and experience more.

A practical piece of advice I would give to someone who is moving from a small, rural town in Alabama to Auburn is this: find people and/or an activity that reminds you of your hometown. This could be a sport, an organization you were a part of back home, some kind of hobby that you enjoy, etc. It doesn’t really matter who or what, all that matters is that you find people who are like-minded and remind you of friends and family from back home. Auburn is one big family, and I want you to feel that family atmosphere on the first day of your freshman year until the last day of your senior year.

I want you to know that going to Auburn has been some of the best years of my life and I want the same exact experience for you. Was coming to Auburn out of my comfort zone? Absolutely. But, was coming to Auburn worth it? You bet. If you have never visited campus, I encourage you to visit soon! We are offering campus tours this spring and you can sign up for a tour here. If you have any questions specifically for me or another one of our admissions advisors, you can contact us here. War Eagle!