What is a Student Recruiter?

Well, I am so glad you asked! Being a Student Recruiter at Auburn (STUD for short) was my favorite thing I was a part of during my undergraduate years, and the main reason that I am in my current job. Being a part of Student Recruiters at Auburn changed the trajectory of my time at and after college. So, what does it mean to be a “Student Recruiter”?

Student Recruiters are the official tour guides of Auburn University. As a prospective student coming to visit Auburn, your tour of campus will be guided by a Student Recruiter. They are the backbone of Auburn University’s recruitment team. Being a STUD entails giving tours, helping with prospective student visit days, meeting with students one-on-one, and other recruitment activities.

From rigorous knowledge tests to learning how to walk backwards successfully, many different things go in to being a winsome Student Recruiter. One thing is common between all Student Recruiters and that is a deep love for Auburn and an even deeper love for prospective students. Our group of Student Recruiters consists of about 60-70 undergraduate students from all different parts of campus and all different kinds of majors. These students are skilled leaders, public speakers, and some of the most passionate students you will come across on campus.

I was a Student Recruiter from the Fall of 2018 to the Spring of 2020 (cut short because of COVID-19). Being a STUD provided me with friends that I would have never met outside of being a Student Recruiter. It confirmed and strengthened my love for Auburn University, and having the opportunity to share that love with incoming students was such a joy.

The job of a Student Recruiter is not an easy one. These students are juggling taking classes and preparing for tests, and on top of that, they come to give a tour for students from all over the nation twice a week. Our Student Recruiters do a great job of focusing in on the tour group and the time they have with the students. Nothing else matters during the hour and fifteen minute walking tour that they lead. This is one of the most important walks prospective students will do during their life, so we expect our Student Recruiters to always bring their best.

For prospective students reading this, know that when you visit campus and get to meet one of our Student Recruiters, they want to help you with your college decision making process. You will receive a handwritten postcard from your recruiter thanking you for coming to campus and those postcards will have your Student Recruiter’s email on there. Reach out to them! Ask them any questions that you might have about college life and specifically, Auburn college life. I speak from personal experience when I say that hearing from a student after a tour brings much joy and delight.

I love Student Recruiters. I think they have one of the best volunteer jobs in the world, walking around a beautiful campus like Auburn and sharing their love of Auburn through facts and rankings and personal stories of their own. “Auburn’s campus sells itself. I am just here to navigate you through the beauty of it all,” is something I would often tell my tour groups. Please come visit our beautiful campus and meet one of our Student Recruiters. I promise you will not regret it.