Not Sure What Major to Pursue?

Then our Exploratory program might be for you!

The Exploration Center in Career Discovery and Success is here to help! We support students in exploring the 150+ majors offered at Auburn to find the right one. Incoming first-year students may enroll as an Exploratory major and spend up to two semesters discovering the ideal major for their academic and professional goals.

The Center’s academic advisors and career counselors provide intensive and personalized support, including serving as the instructors for our two-credit course specifically designed for all new Exploratory majors. In the course, students work through an intentional exploring process, including the following elements:

• Goal Setting
  • Career Assessments
  • Practice utilizing research tools for exploring
  • Introduction to the colleges and programs available
  • Exploring insights from people in the majors and different career fields

While exploring, students receive academic advising and career counseling outside of class. Advising focuses on helping students craft schedules strategically so they will still graduate from their degree-granting major on time. Career counseling appointments are an opportunity to dig deeper into identifying occupations and fields that fit a student’s interests and skills. Having both within our office ensures students get the support they need when they need it.

We know it is hard to start college, find the right major, and take classes strategically, and students deserve support in the process. Our goal is to ensure that you confidently choose a major while progressing toward your degree. To learn more, please email us at explore@auburn.edu or call the office at 334-844-7277. We are located in 101 Mary Martin Hall, so if you are on campus, we’d love to meet you and answer any questions you may have. 

Student Spotlight

Name: Grace Heery  Major: Nutrition Dietetics and Exercise Science Year: Senior

What was the most significant experience you had as an EXPL student?

I highly recommend the Exploratory program to anyone who is even slightly unsure of what they want to do because it not only allowed me to learn about every single major Auburn offers but also taught me about decision-making skills I use every day in college. I was fully confident in my abilities to navigate Auburn academically, professionally, and socially by the end of my first semester. Through the program, you will be able to discover the type of careers that you can do with certain majors, and that exposure was really when I started to figure out what I could see myself doing in the future. With an open mind, active engagement, and a positive attitude in the EXPL class, I truly believe you will not regret taking the time to discover what you are passionate about and turning that into your major! 

What was one highlight of the EXPL major course when you were an EXPL student? (Was there a specific assignment or component of the class that had a lasting positive impact?) One aspect of the EXPL major course that I found most impactful was the exploring experiences I participated in. The goal of exploring experiences was to connect my interests to an event, a faculty member, or a student involved in the area I was curious about. These experiences not only helped me understand from a first-hand perspective what a particular college, major, class, or organization was about, but they also encouraged me to make various connections across campus. This skill was beneficial to learn as a freshman and I have continued to learn and grow from those experiences as a senior finishing up my degree. 

What advice would you give an exploring student? As an incoming freshman, it can be very intimidating to start your college experience and have to decide on a major so early. Choosing to be a part of the EXPL major not only gives you time to learn more about your interests and options, but it also allows you to surround yourself with people who also feel the same way early on in your college career. As an out-of-state freshman, it was very comforting to know it was okay to not know what I wanted to do yet, and I had access to a support system of advisors as well as peers in the exact same spot I was!

Name: Charlie Fleury  Major: Public Relations (Minor: Business)  Year: Senior 

What was the most significant experience you had as an EXPL student? I think the exploring experiences that I was able to take advantage of were some of the most significant experiences I had in this program. Whether I was interested in the career field being discussed or not, I tried to be very intentional about attending as many as possible as this is how I was able to truly identify what was best for me from a major standpoint and a career standpoint. Not only are these experiences helpful when trying to declare your major, but they are also very inspiring. So much valuable insight is shared during these experiences in an effort to help the students, so make the most of these experiences by taking in all of the information and asking questions.

What was one highlight of the EXPL major course when you were an EXPL student? (Was there a specific assignment or component of the class that had a lasting positive impact?) I found the work we did on O*NET and the Occupational Outlook Handbook [online resources for information about occupations] to be very helpful and valuable. Through conversations with my EXPL instructor and friends in the majors I was interested in, I got a great understanding of what to expect in those majors. However, the assignments on O*NET and OOH were able to further my knowledge and understanding of the fields of interest from a career standpoint. Being able to identify the roles and responsibilities in addition to traits of people in that field/occupation really helped me determine what field was best for me.   

What advice would you give an exploring student? Don’t put pressure on yourself to figure everything out right now. It’s so easy to feel pressure to create a life plan when declaring a major as a freshman, but in reality, that can be very unrealistic for many students. With that in mind, during your time in college and in the Exploratory program, take advantage of your instructors and advisors. They have a wealth of knowledge and a strong desire to help each of their students find success, so lean on them as a resource. I also believe it’s important to say yes to any and all opportunities that will give you experience in your fields of interest. Whether that be an involvement position on campus or a job off campus, those experiences are truly what will help you identify where you’re meant to be!

Name: Reese Fisher Major: Marketing
Year: Sophomore

The exploratory program was the best thing I have done as an Auburn Student. Coming into college, I had no idea what I wanted to do with my life. It felt that everyone I talked to had their entire life planned out, and I didn’t even know what classes I had to take. The exploratory program eased my anxiety and clarified that it’s normal not to know what you want to do at 18. I was given an immediate support system surrounded by students in the same situation as me and my advisor, who got to know me personally through class and individual meetings. I was given multiple resources on choosing a major and a career that best fit my work style and interests. I was also given resources on navigating Auburn as well as the help available to me as a student. I was taught how to work Tigerschedule, Handshake, Advise Assist, AUInvolve, and more. The knowledge I gained from the exploratory program will follow me throughout the rest of my college career and beyond.

What was one highlight of the EXPL major course when you were an EXPL student? (Was there a specific assignment or component that had a lasting positive impact?)

My favorite assignment that I did in the exploratory program was the Strong Interest Inventory Profile. When I received my results from the test, I was very thankful for how comprehensive the information I received was. Many career aptitude tests will only give students one area of interest, or one specific major that they should inquire about – that’s it. So, imagine my surprise when I receive an email with a 14-page document not only going over my results, but giving details as to why this career path would or wouldn’t be a good fit for me based on my personality, work style, and hobbies. Looking over my general occupational themes, my top five interest areas and strong occupations list reaffirmed that I was on the right track, and gave me other careers that I wouldn’t have even thought to consider. Even though I am no longer an exploratory student, I still refer to my SII results and encourage any student considering multiple majors to take this assessment.

What advice would you give an exploring student?

I would advise an exploring student to talk to students and adults currently working in the career paths they are exploring. Interacting with students studying the majors I was considering gave me an inside look into the classes I would be required to take, how much the workload was, and if they enjoyed what they were learning. I also had the opportunity to interview adults who were currently working in the career paths I was interested in. I was able to ask questions about their everyday tasks, the flexibility of their workplace, what they would consider to be the pros and cons of their career, and so much more. The conversations I had with students, faculty, and current workers was the most influential and informative experiences I had when it came time for me to choose a major.