COSAM=The College of Sciences and Mathematics

The College of Sciences & Mathematics (COSAM) offers degrees across five departments, including Biological Sciences, Chemistry and Biochemistry, Geosciences, Mathematics and Statistics, and Physics. COSAM also houses the majors for Biomedical Sciences. The college has approximately 2,800 students, including more than 2,400 undergraduate students and more than 400 graduate students, along with over 150 faculty and 40 staff members. In addition, the college is home to research clusters in biophysics and discipline-based education research, and averages more than $18 million in research funding annually, including multiple NSF CAREER Awards each of the last several years. The College of Science & Mathematics educates a significant number of undergraduate and graduate students while also playing a critical role in the core curriculum across the entire university. The college is second among all colleges in the number of student credit hours taught, with nearly 154,000 in the 2021-22 academic year.

COSAM students continually receive accolades and awards. COSAM students have been recognized as USA Today Academic All Stars, Gates and Goldwater Scholars and many more. With more than 70 percent of our students as Biomedical Sciences majors, our college prepares students to pursue their dreams of helping others through the medical profession:

• COSAM students are consistently accepted into professional schools at a rate of more than 30 percentage points higher than the national average
  • Approximately 98 percent of COSAM graduates in professional school programs reported that they are better prepared than their peers, regardless of where the others went to school
  • Biomedical Sciences applicants who used the Pre-Professional Application Course (PPAC) earned an average MCAT score of 512, which is in the 85th percentile and 11 points higher than the national average

COSAM has a long-standing commitment to enhancing diversity in STEM fields – its original Office of Multicultural Affairs was created more than 20 years ago and continues through the current work of the college’s Office of Inclusion, Equity and Diversity. While the college has made great strides through these efforts, there are departments that continue to be underrepresented in the number of faculty who are female and people of color. The next dean must bring a deep commitment to ensuring an environment that fosters inclusion, equity and a sense of belonging for all faculty, staff and students. This individual should have an understanding of the historical challenges of diversity in STEM fields and strategies and initiatives for advancing diversity.

Amya LaGrand
Mathematics
Columbus, GA

Professional Goal:

To become a Math professor

How would you describe your COSAM experience?

I am currently a senior here at Auburn University and I am majoring in Mathematics. I transferred to Auburn as a Sophomore from a local community college. My experience in COSAM has been eye-opening. COSAM offers opportunities for professional and academic growth for all students in the college. I wished since the time I stepped foot on campus 3 years ago until now that I would have gotten more involved with extra curriculars than I am now. I have enjoyed my time in COSAM so much that I have decided to continue my education here at Auburn with a master’s degree. Every instructor I have had throughout my major has always been helpful and willing to meet with me outside of class hours to better help me understand the material, whether it has been through attending meetings in their office or Zoom calls. These interactions have allowed me to build relationships with professors and grant me the opportunity in the future for referrals and letters of recommendation. Another great thing about COSAM is the free tutoring sessions offered to undergraduate students for courses in COSAM. Students have access to several resources to succeed in their classes. For my final year in my undergraduate degree, I have worked as a Peer Advisor for COSAM. I have had the chance to work with the academic advisors and see the work and dedication they put into student involvement. They are always hosting events for students to join and learn more about the opportunities that are beneficial for them during and after their 4 years of school.

What advice would you give an incoming student?

My advice for future students is to make friends quickly with people in similar majors. I learned that classes are more enjoyable with people you have a great relationship with. It makes it easier to create study groups too. I have seen an improvement in my grade this past year. 

Manie Castagneto
Senior majoring in Biomedical Sciences, Interdisciplinary Health Sciences, with a concentration in Pre-Physician Assistant & a minor in Leadership
Huntsville, AL

Professional/academic goals:

A professional goal of mine is to help the younger generation understand all the resources available to them and I plan to achieve this through my leadership roles and my academic goals of graduating from Auburn and then pursuing a Masters in Physician Assistant Studies. 

What have you enjoyed about your student leadership role?

During my time in my leadership role as a peer advisor, I have enjoyed getting to know other competitive professional school candidates. I transferred to Auburn my junior year, so many of my class sizes were large, and it made it harder to interact on a more personal level with my peers. 

What surprised you about COSAM?

The amount of support from the academic advisors in COSAM has surprised me. I knew to be successful at Auburn I would need the support from my academic advisors, but the amount of support they pour into the students astonishes me. Working alongside the advisors now, it’s clear that we are not just students passing through college to them, we are the future, and they make sure we are accounted for. 

Kamden Coleman
Chemistry ’26
Atlanta, GA

Professional Goals:

To be determined

What do you like about your COSAM experience?

I really enjoyed the COSAM Summer Bridge STEM Program. This program allowed me to learn about the campus, understand expectations from COSAM and Auburn, and feel a sense of comfort about Auburn. I was able to meet some classmates and instructors in small group settings prior to starting fall classes. Additionally, my COSAM instructors have been very strong, and I am learning a lot. The instructors are knowledgeable and caring. COSAM offers lots of events to help you think about and shape your career pathway. I feel like this will be very helpful in my future. There also appears to be a lot of support readily available for students.

What is your favorite Auburn University tradition?

I enjoy hanging out in the COSAM study area, the cafe, and playing intramural basketball. If I had to pick one, intramural basketball is my favorite. I have played organized basketball for as long as I can remember, so playing here at Auburn feels second nature. Playing basketball makes me feel relaxed and welcome. Not only do I enjoy the workout, but the game forces me out of my shell to meet new people who share a similar interest of basketball. I am glad this is an option for students at Auburn. You can find me every Thursday playing intramural basketball at the rec center!

Owen Harris
Biomedical Sciences: Pre-Medicine with a minor in Business
Auburn, AL

Professional goals/next step:

To attend the UAB Heersink School of Medicine

What has been the most rewarding/challenging course?

Biochemistry I and II were the most challenging courses I participated in at Auburn. They were detail-oriented and required students to develop a deep understanding of the material. I spent countless hours writing out pathways and working hard to strengthen my knowledge. The subject matter expanded on familiar concepts more than ever, and much of the material was new. Managing the demanding coursework alongside a job, research, and involvement proved to be an additional challenge. Although a formidable set of courses, they provided numerous benefits. The depth of my knowledge translated to subsequent classes and made me feel extremely confident preparing for the MCAT. Beyond an academic standpoint, studying for these courses with my peers allowed us to build strong friendships that have stayed with me.

What are the benefits/perks of being a COSAM student?

The community within COSAM is unlike any other on campus. As a student, you are surrounded by peers who are working toward similar goals as you. We strive to support each other and ensure that we can all succeed. Friendships you make as a COSAM student will persist through the challenging and exciting times that make up your time as an Auburn student. The professional staff further ensures your success by providing students with numerous academic, leadership, and social opportunities. From the drop-in study sessions in the Office of Inclusion and Diversity to the welcome week events put forth by the department, there are plenty of ways to feel at home and supported by COSAM. My calling was to work in COSAM’s Office of Student Services. Each day, I have the opportunity to impact students while strengthening my relationships with our incredible staff.

Ashtyn Phillippi
Microbiology Pre-Med
Lafayette, LA

Next Steps:

I am going to be attending LSU Shreveport School of Medicine in the fall.

What are you involved in outside of classes?

Outside of class, I am a COSAM Leader, Peer Advisor, and Diamond Doll. I am also involved with Project Uplift and the Auburn Wesley Foundation as the missions chair.

My COSAM experience has been beyond rewarding. Every single professor that I have had in COSAM was constantly willing to go the extra mile to help their students feel comfortable with the material. I also have loved being able to give back to the college by guiding students to find what they are passionate about and supporting them in their times of need.